Slim Thoughts

My thoughts on whatever

Contact address
cm44134 at gmail dot com

blogs I read on a far too regular basis


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Saturday, April 26, 2003
 
Finally from Atrios, something almost local, Orrin Hatch talks about polygamy.
"I'm not here to justify polygamy," he said. "All I can say is, I know people in Hildale who are polygamists who are very fine people. You come and show me evidence of children being abused there and I'll get involved. Bring the evidence to me."
Hatch said he could not take unsubstantiated claims and enforce law, and he would not "sit here and judge anybody just because they live differently than me. There will be laws on the books, but these are very complicated issues," Hatch said.


Now, I am not a lawyer, but it seems to me if the chairman of the Senate Judiciary committee knows people who are actively engaged in breaking the law, he really should be required to act on that. I guess he can't afford to offend the invaluable "religiously justified" criminal constituency. WIth each family having 5 or 6 adults, it adds up to a voting block quickly.

Comments: Post a Comment