Slim Thoughts

My thoughts on whatever

Contact address
cm44134 at gmail dot com

blogs I read on a far too regular basis


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Tuesday, April 15, 2003
 
Brad DeLong and CalPundit have both had recent posts on their individual tax situations and it inspired me to do some figuring of my own.
I added up pretty much all the taxes that the missus and I paid in the last year. Unlike Professor Delong, I don't know how much sales tax I paid to the nearest dollar, but I took an educated guess. I was a little surprised by what I found. We paid in taxes about what the average Idaho family earns in a year. But, surprisingly, it worked out to just under 32% of our income.
Is that too much? I must admit, the actual dollar amount seems like a lot of money. However, 32% seems like a pretty good deal to me. I guess tax rates must be almost perfectly defined, though. Even though my wife and I moved into the top 20% for income this year, we don't cross the magical 33% boundary in taxes. Thank God the president isn't proposing any irresponsible new taxes.

Comments: Post a Comment